For several hundred years, this was the site of one of Toruń's three oldest hospitals, mentioned as St Jacob's Hospital as early as 1330. That is why it is decorated with a baroque crucifix - a religious symbol - above the entrance. In the Middle Ages, a hospital was meant to be a shelter for the elderly, the crippled or the poor. The poorhouses were cared for by the clergy. The Church as founder raised funds from wealthy individuals in the laity and clergy. Teaching hospitals were not established until the 19th century with the development of medicine. In 1929, it was entered in the register of historical monuments and became the property of the Municipality of Toruń. In the post-war period, it became a residential house. Currently, the building has been converted into a hotel and restaurant.